Friday, March 11, 2011

#14 Scandinavian Donut Heaven: Larson's Bakery

Growing up, one of my favorite places to grab a Saturday morning treat in downtown Bemidji was the Blackforest Bakery.  Long shuttered, I've longed for the taste of a nice, old-school cream-filled bismark of my childhood.  In this day and age, when the rage is $5 cupcakes and $3 organic donuts, I've often yearned for those simpler times.  Glad was I to find that an old-school bakery still exists, no pretension or designer prices, right in my own neighborhood.  Larson's Bakery sits at the top of the Ballard neighborhood north of downtown Seattle.  With a long glass case full of refined sugar, bleach flour, and butter-soaked treats, this has become an inexpensive break from our monthly quest for great pancakes.  Rarely does a full meal break $10, and everyone is so sugared up that it makes the walk home pass in a jiffy.  Issei's donut of choice is usually the sugar-coated rings, while Pacifica has been trying pretty much everything in the case.  My favorite is definitely the sticky caramel roll, but the danishes are quite good as well.  Coffee is better than church coffee, which is fine, and the milk case is always paced with fresh pink cartons of skim for the little ones. Yum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment